At a senior level, performs mechanical maintenance in an energy services environment including troubleshooting and repair of mechanical equipment, mechanical and/or machine shop repair, welding, and remanufacturing of parts and equipment. This position utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services. Takes a new perspective to solve complex problems. Works independently and receives minimal guidance. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience; may direct the work of other staff members.
- Installs, removes, inspects, repairs, tests, adjusts, and aligns mechanical equipment, including air compressors, heat exchangers, gear reducers, valves, pumps, and fans. Dismantles and reassembles turbine generators, coal handling systems, and/or rail cars as required for assigned work area. Inspects, repairs and maintains aerial platform equipment, cranes, and off-road construction equipment as required for assigned work area.
- Performs welding on various types of piping and/or structures as required and certified to conduct. Makes repairs to fiberglass piping. Performs fabrication tasks such as cutting, welding, and fitting. Performs sandblasting and painting operations. Erects scaffolding. Performs excavations in accordance with OSHA guidelines. Performs confined space entries as required.
- Reads blueprints, consults manuals, parts lists, etc., to assist in performing work; keeps drawings and schematics up to date and accurate.
- Assists electrical and controls personnel in performing various tasks. Performs bearing work, friction and anti-friction, on various equipment (turbine-generator; large boiler air fans, pumps, etc.).
- Designs modifications to improve equipment safety and/or efficiency with engineering approval. May coordinate jobs with engineers, project managers, and supervisors. Provides quality control of outside contractors. Provides input to management on budget items.
- Performs planning and scheduling of work (checking parts availability, equipment availability, and manpower). May provide guidance to maintenance crews periodically.
- Operates handheld manual tools and power tools (e.g., rock saws and cut-off saws) in performing repair and maintenance tasks.
- Operates and transports heavy equipment (e.g., backhoe, dump truck, small excavator and large excavator) in performing repair and maintenance tasks.
- Provides day-to-day guidance and direction to less-experienced team members.
- For employees assigned to Transmission Services, transports and operates aerial bucket equipment (e.g., man lifts, jib lifts and bucket trucks) and cranes (e.g., mobile cranes and facility cranes).
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.