- at least 15 years of electric utility experience
- at least 5 years of directly-related experience in transmission line area
- manage team of at least 15 employees
- at least three years utility experience in Texas
*This position will be open until filled.
Provides strategic and operational leadership to the organization in order to align engineering initiatives with LCRA business strategies. Partners with executive leadership to establish and deliver current and long-range direction for engineering staff. Demonstrates the ability to foster effective relationships, advocates the use of engineering best practices and safe, progressive, cost effective methodologies and customer service.
Directs overall activities of multiple engineering disciplines responsible for a variety of engineering, project development and asset management activities for a major area of the organization that consists of the electric power transmission business. Develops and monitors the departmental budget, schedules, portfolio of projects and strategic plans to ensure technical support and quality control. Ensures that proper engineering standards and practices are developed and practiced within the engineering groups.
- Provides leadership and direction to staff and direct supervision of manager-level employees. Hires, trains, promotes, assigns work, evaluates and manages performance and handles all aspects of staff supervision. Maintains awareness of department issues and collaborates with supervisors to respond to employee needs and concerns. Communicates with employees to ensure accurate and timely dissemination of information.
- Oversees and manages the engineering group(s) responsible for preparing work products, schedules, and estimates for the department. Ensures designs and drawings are consistent with engineering standards and practices, and coordinated between groups. Ensures engineered designs are consistent with industry and organization safety standards and practices. Reviews results of analyses, tests, estimates, implementation and other data created by the groups within the department.
- Oversees and manages the development of short- and long-term goals related to engineering design and stewardship of the assets comprising LCRA's generation services, water services, enterprise engineering and transmission services within assigned area.
- Oversees and manages engineering agreements relating to the management and stewardship of LCRA-owned facilities within assigned areas. Participates in development of new projects, developing project agreements and negotiating contracts involving external entities in accordance with approved Supply Management processes and procedures.
- Works with Asset Management to provide resources for the development of future fiscal year projects.
- Oversees, directs and manages engineering group(s) responsible for engineering tasks and responsibilities related to the development, analysis, design and implementation of capital and O&M projects associated with the transmission of electric power, including coordination with other departments and facilities, operations and facility engineering groups.
- Participates in industry committees to investigate current technical developments and industry codes, and new safety/regulatory requirements. Monitors and reviews utility industry rules and related transactions and recommend actions.
- Maintains frequent and effective communication with executive management
- Provides resources to support all technical requirements for regulatory compliance such as the associated with the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Reliablity Standards.
- Provides expert technical assistance, coordinates responses and represents LCRA to federal and state agencies, local, governments, the LCRA's customers and the general public.
- Prepares or reviews written expert testimony of the groups in support of the LCRA's position in legal or regulatory proceedings.
- Gathers engineering information by traveling independently to various locations (transmission right-of-ways, substations, power plants, water systems, etc.) as necessary.
- In accordance with approved Supply Management processes and procedures, serves as owner’s representative for outside engineering contracts.
- Directs all aspects of work associated with the engineering of high voltage electric transmission lines.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.