- Maintains the Network Infrastructure associated with the EMS and SUBWAN.
- Troubleshoots network systems including local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), and networks supporting substation operations.
- Maintains and configures firewalls, routers, and switches using standard protocols.
- Creates and maintains numerous VPN’s and new firewall additions.
- Maintains network management software.
- Researches, analyzes and implements software patches or hardware changes to fix any network deficiencies.
- Drafts, updates and follows detailed work instructions relating to network maintenance using established processes and procedures.
- Identifies best and cost effective network solutions that meet stringent security and availability requirements.
- Support the asset identification/categorization process for devices/servers in the EMS and SUBWAN environments for regulatory purposes.
- Hands-on knowledge of firewalls, switches and routers
- Fundamental understanding of TCP/IP and associated routing and switching protocols
- CISCO Certification
- Juniper Certification
At an entry level, provides UNIX and/or Windows software and hardware support for LCRA TSC’s Energy Management Systems (EMS), associated ancillary systems and servers in areas such as design, development, user administration, configuration, deployment, installation, tuning, monitoring, maintenance and updating. Participates in managing EMS incidents, problems and anomalies including recognition, analysis and resolution. This position develops competence by performing structured work assignments and receives instruction, guidance and direction from supervisor, manager and/or more experienced colleagues.
- Assists with the development, testing and implementation of new hardware applications, software applications, databases and system displays for the graphical user interface.
- Assists with the maintaining and updating hardware applications, software applications, databases and system displays for the graphical user interface. Assists in writing software code to perform real-time calculations for daily operations. Performs basic monitoring of the EMS, ancillary systems and servers related to disk space, node failures and error logs.
- Assists with the design, determination and calculation of data storage, retention and archiving requirements for the EMS Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) and other databases used in the EMS environment based on requirements from operations and staff.
- Performs user administration and support for the EMS and associated ancillary systems, such as remote access devices and multifactor authentication servers.
- Performs system backups and database archive operations.
- Assists with managing EMS incidents, problems and anomalies including recognition, analysis and resolution.
- Monitors EMS for availability and performance. Performs status reporting for reliability and availability of system related resources though use of scripts, server logging and reporting tools.
- Supports systems operations staff by providing EMS data for their analysis and investigations. Performs basic and routine analysis for operations staff related to EMS.
- Learns and maintains awareness of NERC, FERC and ERCOT Security Critical Infrastructure Protection Standards.
- Provides basic support for EMS failures during standard business and non-business hours.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.