Preferred Candidates will have experience in the following:
Experience with OSII Monarch GMS.
ERCOT market knowledge
Strong C, C++ , Java programming
Experience with SQL, Oracle, BI tools
Knowledge of Big Data technology.
Experience with OSI Soft PI and Instep EDNA historian.
At an expert level, provides support and maintenance for the Generation Management System (GMS) used to dispatch LCRA’s generation and load assets in the ERCOT electricity market. Provides support for real-time GMS applications and real-time databases, including system configurations, monitoring of telemetry, communication protocols, and Automatic Generation Control (AGC). Responds to real-time mission critical generation desk requests and participates in trouble shooting, problem solving, and system restoration tasks. This position develops competence by performing structured work assignments and receives instruction, guidance and direction from supervisor, manager and/or more experienced colleagues.
- Leads the maintenance of knowledge of the ERCOT dispatch protocols, as well as support of compliance with local, state, and federal reliability and cyber security standards.
- Leads the interaction with ERCOT, power plants, market participants, and vendor personnel to coordinate and configure data and control communications using telecommunication (ICCP, MODBUS, and DNP) protocols.
- Leads the interaction with LCRA IT infrastructure to configure computer systems and troubleshoot problems and incidents.
- Leads the compilation of real-time data and responds to data requests from market operations, settlement, and engineering groups.
- Monitors real-time system conditions and supports investigations of grid events.
- Leads the development, testing, deployment, support, and maintenance of new SCADA/GMS devices, applications, databases, and operator displays.
- Leads the development, testing, and deployment of real-time GMS calculations, and custom monitoring and automation tools.
- Ensures the monitoring of system statuses, operations, performance, and event logs, and develops mastery of system level architecture, system configuration, and system operations.
- Ensures the update of systems with security, operating system, and application patches. Analyzes anti-virus configurations and performs periodic vulnerability scans.
- Ensures administrative support of GMS applications, databases, communications, and workstation and server operating systems. Reviews system information parameters, processes, and provides recommendations for system improvement and upgrades.
- Provides advanced support for system backups, system restorations, and system fail-overs during standard business and non-business hours.
- Serves as a key contributor in managing GMS incidents, problems and anomalies including recognition, analysis and resolution. Performs root cause analysis, controls change management and utilizes effective communication practices. Makes recommendations for new projects to resolve issues associated with assigned area of expertise.
- Ensures GMS is compliant with NERC, FERC and ERCOT Security Critical Infrastructure Protection Standards. Conducts hardware and software audits of workstations and servers on a routine basis to ensure compliance with established standards, policies and configuration guidelines.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.