Supervises, coordinates and directs overall activities of staff responsible for plant operations at a coal-fired power plant, including Fossil Control Room Operators, Plant Operators and other shift personnel essential to power plant operations. Coordinates work activities with other power plant departments and serves as the primary contact with the LCRA/AE Generation Desk (GenDesk) regarding all unit generation capabilities and outages, and also with TS System Operations and Control Center (SOCC)regarding transmission switching needs .
- Provides leadership and direction to staff. Hires, trains, assigns work, evaluates and manages performance, determines compensation of subordinate staff in compliance with policies and handles all aspects of staff supervision. Maintains awareness of department issues and responds to employee needs and concerns. Communicates with employees to ensure accurate and timely dissemination of information.
- Develops and manages department budget. Ensures expenditures are appropriate and within approved budget.
- Coordinates and directs activities to maximize the daily operational efficiency of the power plant, including unit start-ups and shut-downs. Provides technical oversight and resolution of issues for plant operations.
- Coordinates work activities with other power plant departments and serves as the primary contact with the LCRA/AE GenDesk regarding all unit generation capabilities and outages, and also with the SOCC regarding transmission switching needs. Ensures that management is informed on critical matters affecting power plant operations.
- Communicates and resolves routine conflicts with general public and customers in regards to plant operations activities.
- Implements and maintains policies, programs and procedures related to the safe, reliable and efficient operation of the power plant. Ensures safety and environmental policies, programs and procedures are implemented and followed. Assists in developing and maintaining policies and procedures for the facility.
- Prepares and delivers various reports to management and staff, within the department, facility, and organization. Ensures appropriate records are maintained within the department.
- Ensures safe, efficient and environmentally compliant operation of the plant’s generating units. Provides NERC compliance leadership.
- Ensures the effective, efficient delivery and monitoring of boiler water, boiler water make-up and the environmental processes of wastewater and oily wastewater treatment.
- Provides oversight and input to plant operations training, including development, design and delivery of operations training for the generating units in areas such as technical skills, system operations, water treatment and coal yard operations. Ensures the effective, efficient delivery of operations training including documentation process and procedures.
- May serve as the facility’s Emergency Preparedness Plan Incident Commander.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.