**Skills in Heavy Equipment or Large truck
such as Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit, and/or Allison
Preferred Candidates will have:
ASE certifications with at least one complete test series relevant to job duties
And/or Mobile Hydraulic Mechanic (MHM) certification from the International Fluid Power Society
At a senior level, performs mechanical, hydraulic, vehicle, off-road equipment and heavy equipment maintenance. Diagnoses problems and performs mechanical repairs, machine shop repairs and re-manufacturing of parts and equipment. This position utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services. Takes a new perspective to solve complex problems. Works independently and receives minimal guidance. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May direct the work of other staff members.
- Performs engine repair and maintenance of all gasoline, diesel and biofuel powered vehicles and equipment. Repairs and maintains fuel, exhaust, electrical, cooling, heating, and air conditioning systems of vehicles. Adjusts, removes and installs clutches, transmissions, torque converters, drive lines, steering suspensions and brake systems in all vehicles.
- Inspects, repairs and maintains vehicles, tractor trailer rigs, portable generators/air compressors, boats/outboard motors, aerial devices, material handling equipment and hydraulic tools and off-road construction equipment. Maintains and repairs stationary generators at microwave sites
- Performs machine shop repair by remanufacturing parts, equipment or fixtures to manufacturers' specifications. Sets up and operates drill presses, band saws, planers, shapers, lathes, milling, grinding and shearing machines.
- Performs visual, operational, and safety inspections as dictated by unit manufactures, DOT, ANSI, and OSHA standards
- Designs modifications to improve equipment safety and/or efficiency with engineering approval.
- Checks parts, equipment and staff availability in performing maintenance and repair duties.
- Fabricates and installs specialty equipment on new vehicles and heavy equipment. Refurbishes and paints damaged equipment. Performs auto body repair duties, including sanding, prepping, straightening, alignment and replacement.
- Documents changes made to systems or equipment through appropriate communications and recordkeeping practices. Documents work in logs, files, system prints and other records and through communications, both oral and written, with other team members and supervisors.
- Operates handheld manual tools and power tools (e.g., impacts, grinders, saws and shears) in performing repair and maintenance tasks.
- Operates high voltage electric test equipment.
- Operates arc, gas welders and torches necessary to fabricate, modify or repair materials and equipment.
- Operates aerial bucket equipment (e.g., man lifts, jib lifts and bucket trucks) and cranes (e.g., mobile cranes, forklifts and facility cranes).
- Performs work by traveling independently or with a small crew to various locations (substations, power plants, water systems, etc.) as scheduled.
- Provides day-to-day guidance and direction to less-experienced team members.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management