Supervises, coordinates and directs activities of staff providing professional surveying services and solutions for large scale infrastructure projects. Develops and implements surveying standards, policies, procedures and specifications for the group. Provides technical expertise and ensures compliance with the Professional Land Surveying Practices Act of the State of Texas. Sets and monitors operational and financial performance goals for the work group.
- Provides leadership and direction to staff. Hires, trains, assigns work, evaluates and manages performance, determines compensation of subordinate staff in compliance with human resources policies and handles all aspects of staff supervision. Maintains awareness of department issues and responds to employee needs and concerns. Communicates with employees to ensure accurate and timely dissemination of information.
- Develops and manages department budget. Ensures expenditures are appropriate and within approved budget.
- Provides technical leadership in surveying. Analyzes and interprets data and study results, as well as engineering and surveying drawings and specifications. Maintains thorough knowledge of surveying principles and standards of practice. Maintains awareness of technical developments, industry trends and/or regulatory requirements which have an impact upon the surveying profession.
- Provides overall leadership, monitors progress and ensures timely completion of surveying projects. Plans and designs complex surveying projects. Writes specifications as necessary for projects for which there are few precedents.
- May conduct and take full responsibility for complex surveying studies requiring advanced knowledge of surveying practices. Coordinates and reviews the work of staff to the extent of assuming professional responsibility for the work. Personally affixes seal or communicates necessary changes to the responsible RPLS for correction.
- Identifies and anticipates problems, investigates, analyzes, and develops solutions and corrective actions to be taken.
- Establishes and maintains effective internal and external working relationships. Represents the organization and provides leadership to task forces, the community and other outside surveying organizations.
- Provides expert testimony in legal actions involving boundary disputes and condemnation/imminent domain proceedings.
This description only includes essential functions of the job and does not mean to imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.