Preferred candidates will have the following:
CISSP, GIAC or similar certification
At a senior level, plans, designs, installs, configures, and troubleshoots network systems including Local Area Networks (LAN), Wide Area Networks (WAN), Wireless LAN (WLAN), Voice over IP (VoIP) telephony, and Unified Computing Systems (UCS) supporting hydromet, generation and substation operations. Designsnew implementations via the application of architectural standards and performs configuration of physical and logical network components. Assists in the design of the network architecture, designs the network infrastructure, and plans and designs network solutions. Performs capacity and resource planning, assessing network risks and contingency planning. Implements and maintains network management software. Researches, analyzes, and implements software patches or hardware changes to address any network deficiencies. Provides Tier 2 support. Involved in the evaluation of new products and services and may manage vendor service level agreements. This position utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services. Takes a new perspective to solve complex problems. Works independently and receives minimal guidance. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May direct the work of other staff members.
- Designs, installs and troubleshoots networks incorporating routers, multilayer switches, firewalls, load balancers, and unified computing.
- Proactively monitors, analyzes and reviews multi-platform computing environment and executes problem avoidance practices in order to maintain a high level of reliability and availability.
- Identifies best and least cost network solutions that meet stringent security and availability requirements.
- Solves problems causing network outages including identifying issues with hardware, operating system, application and capacity.
- Acts as the owner of a problem through resolution. Analyzes issue and takes actions to resolve problems (including Root Cause Analysis and Problem Remediation).
- Drafts, updates and follows detailed work instructions relating to network maintenance.
- Acts as subject matter expert while working with vendors,documenting best practices and configuring network tools.
- Documents changes made to systems or equipment through appropriate communications and record keeping practices. Documents work into logs, files, system prints and other records and through communications, both verbal and written, with other team members and supervisors.
- May provide on-the-job training and guidance for colleagues with less experience.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.
Network System Engineer Sr.
Nine or more years of experience in designing and/or operating networks. A degree(s) in information technology, computer scienceor relevant field may be substituted per LCRA guidelines for certain years of experience.
Network System Engineer Lead
Ten or more years of experience in designing and/or operating networks. A degree(s) in information technology, computer science or relevant field may be substituted per LCRA guidelines for certain years of experience.