This intern position is within the Transmission Line Engineering Group. We specifically focus on transmission line, transmission structural and distribution engineering. Focus will be on learning engineering fudamentals of transmission line engineering and basic field experience. Projects may include LiDAR verification of transmission line assets, material fit-up verification, transmission and structural engineering calculations, and field visits.
Under close supervision of a licensed professional engineer, performs entry level engineering assignments by assisting with engineering projects and design work.
- Under direct guidance, conducts basic engineering studies and computations, develops design and cost estimates, lays out drafting work, correlates/compiles data, conducts and analyzes tests and evaluates equipment performance. May be assisted by craftsmen, technicians, or experienced engineers.
- Investigates and analyzes basic problems and develops appropriate solutions. Drafts less complicated reports and assists with more complex reports.
- Conducts basic tests of instruments, materials, equipment, and controls to determine operating characteristics. Develops solutions or improvements, and/or verifies accuracy of data. Ensures accurate and beneficial data is acquired and recorded.
- Prepares reports, operating instructions, and project outlines in connection with fundamental engineering assignments. Learns and follows appropriate business procedures. Learns and applies project management techniques.
- Assists in planning and design of engineering projects. Performs basic engineering and design work. Conducts field analysis, inspections and performance tests. Records, compiles, and reports information.
- Drafts specifications as required for basic projects for which there are precedents. Completes related computations and drafts schematics and diagrams. Develops testing, operating and maintenance plans. Interprets engineering specifications.
- Coordinates project reviews and implementation plans between individuals and sections. Ensures timely communications occur, as needed, on project activities.
- Maintains knowledge of engineering principles. Studies and attends classes on LCRA procedures, equipment, and systems. Develops analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- May assist more experienced engineers in the interpretation of basic engineering drawings or manufacturers' specifications for field personnel. Communicates any recommended changes to the responsible engineer for the correction.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.