Manages and directs overall activities of engineering group(s) responsible for a variety of engineering, project development and asset management activities for major areas of the organization. Develops and monitors the departmental budget, schedules, portfolio of projects and strategic plans to ensure technical support and quality control. Ensures that proper engineering standards and practices are developed and practiced within the engineering groups.
- Provides leadership and direction to staff. Hires, trains, promotes, assigns work, evaluates and manages performance and handles all aspects of staff supervision. Maintains awareness of department issues and responds to employee needs and concerns. Communicates with employees to ensure accurate and timely dissemination of information.
- Oversees and manages the engineering group(s) responsible for preparing work products, schedules, and estimates for the department. Ensures designs and drawings are consistent with engineering standards and practices, and coordinated between groups. Reviews results of analyses, tests, estimates, implementation and other data created by the groups within the department.
- Oversees and manages the development of short and long term goals related to engineering design and stewardship of the assets comprising LCRA's generation services, water services and transmission services within assigned area.
- Oversees and manages engineering agreements, leases, and contracts relating to the management and stewardship of LCRA-owned facilities within assigned area. Participates in development of new projects, developing project agreements and negotiating contracts involving external entities in accordance with approved Supply Management processes and procedures.
- Oversees and manages engineering group(s) responsible for engineering tasks and responsibilities related to the development, analysis, design and implementation of capital and O&M projects, including coordination with other departments and facilities, operations and facility engineering groups.
- Participates in industry committees to investigate current technical developments and industry codes, and new safety/regulatory requirements. Monitors and reviews utility industry rules and related transactions and recommend actions.
- Provides expert technical assistance, coordinates responses and represents LCRA to federal and state agencies, local, governments, the LCRA's customers and the general public.
- Prepares or reviews written expert testimony of the groups in support of the LCRA's position in legal or regulatory proceedings.
- Gathers engineering information by traveling independently to various locations (substations, power plants, water systems, etc.) as necessary.
- In accordance with approved Supply Management processes and procedures, serves as owner’s representative for outside engineering contracts.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.