At an intermediate level, performs complex financial accounting and reporting activities for assigned funds and programs. Researches, interprets and ensures compliance with various regulatory requirements and ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles. Develops, prepares and reviews accounting reports and financial statements. This position utilizes knowledge and experience in own discipline but is still building higher-level knowledge and skills. Utilizes discretion and independent judgment to determine an appropriate approach within general parameters and some guidance from supervisor, manager and/or more experienced colleagues.
- Reviews and/or prepares reconciliations and other periodic analysis of accounts, procedures and department practices; provides alternative recommendations; performs cost/benefit analysis to determine the most cost-effective solution.
- Prepares moderately complex detailed schedules and work papers, journal entries and general ledger account and/or sub-ledger reconciliations and intercompany account reconciliations.
- Maintains the general ledger accounts.
- Ascertains whether company assets are properly accounted for and safeguarded from loss.
- Performs sub-ledger system account maintenance. Ensures billing terms are in compliance with written contracts.
- Performs fluctuation analysis of financial statement variances, writes reports on findings and provides supporting documentation for conclusions reached. Prepares monthly financial statements and management reports. Prepares audited financial statements including footnotes.
- Researches and analyzes complex accounting rules and regulations and determines the applicability to the LCRA. Recommends guidelines for implementation. Researches and monitors PUC and other regulatory rules and legislation; ensures compliance through timely organizational communication.
- Maintains debt allocation system, updates for new debt issues and payments. Prepares monthly debt service ratio calculation.
- Reviews and finalizes journal entries prepared by other staff members that are within established guidelines for materiality, including monthly, quarterly and year-end accruals. Reviews bank statement reconciliations prepared by staff and ensures they all are completed within schedule and all corrective actions are taken.
- Analyzes moderately complex business processes and solves problems identified and/or recommends changes to improve the process and/or internal controls. Provides accounting and accounting system consulting support to LCRA staff as required.
- Develops policies and procedures related to functional areas of responsibility. Conducts initial internal control evaluations. Implements approved process and control improvements and monitors results. Provides training and guidance to other Accountants and administrative staff.
- Researches and analyzes state sales tax and IRS 1099 reporting requirements.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.