Manages and directs overall activities of personnel within the accounts payable department. Monitors records of amounts owed and ensures prompt payment of invoices. Oversees the processing and verification of invoices, coding of expenses and issuance of checks for payment. Reviews accounts payable register and other related accounting reports. Develops or recommends changes in methods or procedures to improve the efficiency of the accounts payable function.
- Provides leadership and direction to staff. Hires, trains, assigns work, evaluates and manages performance, determines compensation of subordinate staff in compliance with human resources policies and handles all aspects of staff supervision. Maintains awareness of department issues and responds to employee needs and concerns. Communicates with employees to ensure accurate and timely dissemination of information.
- Develops processes for the accounts payable function, ensuring that vendor invoices and employee expense reports are processed in a timely fashion.
- Leads staff in processing invoices and employee expense reimbursements for payment.
- Leads staff in classifying and/or coding transactions to appropriate general ledger accounts. Leads staff in preparing accounts payable journal entries.
- Leads staff in verifying accuracy and completeness of repetitive accounts payable documents, identifying discrepancies, resolving issues and determining appropriate course of action according to established accounts payable and procurement procedures.
- Trains staff in the operation of specific accounting system applications for data entry, information retrieval and/or inquiry.
- Create and maintain reporting requirements from Accounts Payable system software (currently PeopleSoft) for metrics monitoring, exception reporting, and sub-ledger reconciliation.
- Create, develop, implement and document test plans for any changes to Accounts Payable system modules.
- Evaluate and test Accounts Payable system upgrades or new system implementations.
- Continuously evaluate available functionality of Accounts Payable system and, when necessary, implement changes to business processes to ensure use of system is at full potential.
- Leads staff in preparing monthly general ledger account reconciliations.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.