Under limited supervision of a licensed professional engineer, performs a variety of progressively responsible engineering assignments involving engineering principles. Completes engineering projects and designs work involving adaptations and modifications to systems, equipment, materials and procedures. Receives instructions on specific objectives, complex features, established precedents, and possible solutions.
- Conducts engineering studies and computations. Develops designs and cost estimates. Lays out drafting work. Correlates/compiles data. Conducts and analyzes tests and diagnoses and evaluates equipment performance. May direct the work of craftsmen or technicians. May assist less experienced engineers or others.
- Investigates and analyzes problems and develops appropriate solutions. Drafts reports. Receives assistance on unusual or complex features.
- Conducts moderately complex tests of instruments, materials, equipment, and controls to determine operating characteristics. Develops solutions or improvements, and/or verifies accuracy of data. Ensures accurate and beneficial data is acquired and recorded.
- Prepares reports, operating instructions and project outlines in connection with engineering assignments. Follows appropriate business procedures. Applies project management techniques.
- Plans and designs engineering projects involving relatively few complex features. Performs engineering and design work. Conducts field analysis, inspections and performance tests. Records, compiles, and reports information.
- Drafts specifications as required for projects. Completes related computations and drafts schematics and diagrams. Develops testing plans. Interprets engineering specifications.
- Coordinates project reviews and implementation plans between individuals and sections. Ensures timely communications occur, as needed, on project activities.
- Maintains knowledge of engineering principles and enhances knowledge of LCRA equipment and systems.
- Gathers engineering information by traveling independently to various locations (substations, power plants, water systems, etc.) as necessary.
- In accordance with approved Supply Management processes and procedures, serves as owner’s representative for outside engineering contracts.
- May perform confined space entry.
- May interpret basic engineering drawings or manufacturers specifications for field personnel. Provides timely reports which communicate all pertinent information to the responsible engineer.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.