Preferred candidates will have some experience providing assistance with pension plans.
At a senior level, performs complex and advanced financial accounting, analysis and reporting activities for assigned funds and programs. Researches, interprets and ensures compliance with various regulatory requirements and ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles. Develops, prepares and reviews accounting reports and financial statements. Provides internal technical expertise and review of accounting transactions, reports and financial statements. This position utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services. Takes a new perspective to solve complex problems. Works independently and receives minimal guidance. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May direct the work of other staff members.
- Reviews and/or prepares reconciliations and other periodic analysis of accounts, procedures and department practices; provides alternative recommendations; performs cost/benefit analysis to determine the most cost-effective solution.
- Prepares moderately to highly complex detailed schedules and work papers, journal entries and general ledger account and/or sub-ledger reconciliations and intercompany account reconciliations.
- Maintains the general ledger accounts.
- Ascertains whether company assets are properly accounted for and safeguarded from loss.
- Reconciles sub ledgers to the general ledger. Identifies weaknesses in the interface and makes recommendations for corrective actions.
- Performs fluctuation analysis of financial statement variances, writes reports on findings and provides supporting documentation for conclusions reached. Prepares, and performs detailed review of, monthly financial statements and management reports. Prepares, and provides detail review of, audited financial statements including footnotes.
- Researches and analyzes highly complex accounting rules and regulations and determines the applicability to the LCRA. Recommends guidelines for implementation.
- Reviews and finalizes journal entries prepared by other staff members that are within established guidelines for materiality, including monthly, quarterly and year-end accruals.
- Analyzes moderately complex business processes and solves problems identified and/or recommends changes to improve the process and/or internal controls. Provides accounting and accounting system consulting support for the implementation of process changes or new business activities related to accounting.
- Develops policies and procedures related to functional areas of responsibility. Conducts initial internal control evaluations. Implements approved process and control improvements and monitors results.
- Researches and analyzes state sales tax and IRS 1099 reporting requirements.
- Assists supervisor/management in coordinating the monthly and yearly closeout process, annual audits, financial and management reporting requirements, and audited financial statement preparation.
- Serves as department liaison with internal and external auditors. Assists with monitoring of internal accounting controls and company policies.
- Provides training and day-to-day guidance to other Accountants and administrative staff. Trains new staff members on processes and sub-systems with an emphasis on the underlying accounting principles. Mentors staff as appropriate.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.