At a mid to senior level, performs installation, commissioning and maintenance of LCRA Transmission Services substation protective relaying, diagnostics, SCADA, measurement, metering, monitoring and control systems. Senior technicians assist in technical support to system operations, LCRA design and maintenance engineering groups and customers in the development and implementation of SCADA, metering, and protection systems. This position utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services. Take a new perspective to solve complex problems. Works independently and receives minimal guidance. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience; may direct the work of other staff members.
- Coordinates and manages complex projects involving LCRA System Operations, Generation, LCRA Relay and Control Engineering, LCRA Telecommunications, LCRA Network Services and ERCOT.
- Performs complex maintenance, installation, commissioning and integration tasks on equipment, including but not limited to Remote Terminal Units (RTU), Data Concentrators, Revenue Meters, Protective Relays, Windows based computers, Human Machine Interfaces, GPS Satellite Clocks, Digital Fault Recorders, and other related equipment and peripherals.
- Independently performs maintenance and installation tasks on network related equipment, including but not limited to routers, switches, network interface cards and serial to IP transceivers.
- Integrates and tests Remote Terminal Units, Protective Relay devices, Revenue Meters and HMIs into Transmission Services SubWAN for remote access/configuration capabilities and D2F (Distance to Fault) functionality. Maintains and archives relay event records in accordance with ERCOT protocols.
- Uses vendor software to configure and implement customer-specific and equipment-specific requirements and programs.
- Assist engineering and purchasing with the testing/evaluation of new equipment and technologies for potential long term agreements.
- Performs modifications of system documentation and drawings including, but not limited to, departmental procedures, schematics, diagrams and spreadsheets.
- Analyzes, evaluates, and corrects anomalies in control and network related systems.
- Develops and summarizes test results, trouble reports and required records for SCADA, metering and protection related equipment. Completes and submits NERC and ERCOT required documentation.
- Operates handheld manual tools and power tools in performing installation and maintenance tasks.
- Follows LCRA Safety and Operating Procedures.
- Performs work by traveling independently or with a small crew to various locations (substations, power plants, water systems, etc.) as scheduled.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.