Manages and directs overall activities of accounting staff responsible for accounting functions, which may include billing, general accounting, asset accounting, inventory and allocations. This position also manages FASB/GASB compliance and reporting.
- Provides leadership and direction to staff. Hires, trains, assigns work, evaluates and manages performance, determines compensation of subordinate staff in compliance with human resources and handles all aspects of staff supervision. Maintains awareness of department issues and responds to employee needs and concerns. Communicates with employees to ensure accurate and timely dissemination of information.
- Provides technical guidance on accounting issues for department. Evaluates, develops and implements accounting policies and procedures. Develops and implements processes, using industry best practices, to allow for the efficient utilization of all accounting operations resources.
- For all work groups and staff directly reporting to this position, develops strategic and operating plans, goals, objectives, priorities and procedures that are in alignment with the strategic goals and objectives of the LCRA.
- Coordinates with accounting management to ensure expenditures are appropriate and within approved budget.
- Oversees staff responsible for general ledger and sub ledger entries, reconciling outstanding account balances and the maintenance of accurate records and control reports. Oversees the development, coordination and implementation of strategies and processes that enable LCRA to meet organizational, functional area and customer needs. Oversees the development and implementation of new procedures and processes to meet changing needs or regulatory requirements.
- Champions the processes and changes that will be necessary to ensure success. Coordinates and manages special projects of a complex nature, both accounting and non-accounting related. Provides cross-functional team management.
- Oversees the coordination and monitoring of work of external auditors on the research of various issues and during annual audit work. Monitors internal accounting controls and company policies.
- Ensures compliance with various regulatory requirements, LCRA’s policies and compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Performs final review of products (financial/management reports and/or schedules, policies, etc.) prior to distribution or forwarding to Controller or designee for signature.
- Leads staff in performing complex and advanced financial accounting, analysis and reporting activities for assigned funds and programs.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.