At an entry to senior level, performs a variety of tasks related to general maintenance activities of electrical and/or mechanical equipment on facility and/or substation equipment. Tasks include responsibilities in the areas including, but not limited to maintenance, construction, installation and repair of the substation facilities and substation equipment; researching, ordering, tracking, receiving, and delivering parts and materials as required. Performs all work in accordance with approved Supply Management processes and procedures. This position develops competence by performing structured work assignments and receives instruction, guidance and direction from supervisor, manager and/or more experienced colleagues. This position performs a combination of the following duties based on business need within assigned area as determined by department management.
- Assists with routine installation, maintenance, repair and operational tests related to electrical craft.
- Assists with maintenance and repair of transmission, power generation, vehicles, and facilities equipment, using power and hand tools as necessary.
- Assists with routine assembly, installation and maintenance of electrical equipment related to assigned work area, including high-voltage equipment.
- Assists with routine installation, removal, inspection, repair, testing, adjustment, alignment and installation of mechanical equipment related to assigned work area, including high-voltage equipment.
- Assists in performing necessary operational and/or diagnostic tests. Records test results. Assists with development and summary of test results in reports.
- Observes and inspects equipment and structures to detect potential routine electrical issues (e.g., patrol of stations and transmission lines).
- Assists with requisitioning of materials, parts, equipment.
- Expedites materials, parts, equipment and supplies from the warehouse and outside vendors to work crews. Handles shipping and receiving through freight companies or other carriers (e.g. FedEx, UPS).
- Operates handheld manual tools and power tools in performing repair and maintenance tasks.
- Learns to transport and operate heavy equipment (e.g., backhoe, dump truck, small excavator) in performing construction repair and maintenance tasks.
- May perform manual labor such as shoveling and using of pavement breakers.
- Learns to perform low-voltage and high-voltage switching according to standard procedures and in coordination with System Operations.
- Assists with welding, fiberglass piping repair, pipe cutting and pipe fitting duties.
- Ensures proper documentation of all activities according to departmental recordkeeping guidelines and practices. Issues, receives, stores and/or transfers materials for jobs. Tracks orders, transactions and expenditures. Enters data into automated systems and/or manual record keeping systems.
- Prepares equipment and material for daily projects. Maintains safe and clean work areas, equipment and vehicles.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, diagrams, schematics, manuals and parts lists.
- Performs work by traveling independently or with a small crew to various locations (e.g., substations, transmission lines, warehouses, etc.) as scheduled.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.