Manual Machinist Position:
At a senior level, performs machine shop repairs by remanufacturing parts, equipment, or fixtures to specifications. Sets up and operates machining equipment. Creates and updates blueprints. Advises maintenance personnel on overhauling equipment and provides guidance to less experienced machinists and apprentices. This position utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in own discipline to provide and improve services. Takes a new perspective to solve complex problems. Works independently and receives minimal guidance. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience. May direct the work of other staff members.
- Performs machine shop repair by remanufacturing parts, equipment, or fixtures to manufacturers' specifications. Sets up and operates drill presses, band saws, planers, shapers, lathes, milling machines, grinding, shearing machines, and portable field machining equipment.
- Designs modifications to improve equipment safety and/or efficiency with engineering approval. May coordinate jobs with engineers, project managers, and supervisors. Provides quality control of outside contractors.
- Performs planning and scheduling of work (checking parts availability, equipment availability, and manpower). Provides input to management on budget items.
- Develops blueprints using CAD by working from notes, sketches, oral instructions, and discussions with end users.
- Consults and interprets blueprints, equipment operation manuals, parts lists, and diagrams to perform assigned work. Keeps working copies of drawings and schematics accurate and up-to-date.
- Provides technical advice and assists maintenance personnel in performing various tasks. Performs bearing work, friction and anti-friction, on various equipment (turbine-generator; large boiler air fans, pumps, etc.).
- Installs, removes, inspects, repairs, tests, adjusts, and aligns mechanical equipment, including air compressors, heat exchangers, gear reducers, valves, pumps, and fans. Dismantles and reassembles turbine generators, coal handling systems, and/or rail cars as required for assigned work area. Inspects, repairs and maintains aerial platform equipment, cranes, and off-road construction equipment as required for assigned work area.
- Maintains certification to operate equipment (forklift, manlift, etc.) as required for assigned work area or duties. Works with authorized inspectors to maintain certifications.
- Provides day-to-day guidance and direction to less-experienced team members.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.