Manages and directs overall activities of company-wide safety and health programs.
- Provides leadership and direction to staff within area of responsibility. Hires, trains, assigns work, evaluates and manages performance, determines compensation of management and staff in compliance with policies and handles all aspects of staff supervision. Maintains awareness of department issues and responds to employee needs and concerns.
- Develops and implements operating plans, goals, objectives, priorities and procedures that are in alignment with the strategic goals and objectives of the LCRA.
- Manages the financial aspects of department with a focus on fiscal responsibility and cost-consciousness and in accordance with applicable policies.
- In coordination with regulatory function, ensures compliance with OSHA, ANSI and other regulating bodies.
- Evaluates and monitors departmental activities to ensure optimum efficiency and effectiveness. Participates in and responds to audits. Makes recommendations and proposals to management as necessary. Develops and implements action plans resulting from recommendations.
- Oversees the LCRA Industrial Hygiene Program.
- Collects, tracks, and maintains LCRA-wide occupational incidents, performs risk and trend analyses.
- Leads and participates in the investigation of safety and health incidents, particularly involving highly visible and complex situations, determines root causes and compiles and produces safety and health reports.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with external stakeholders such as customers, external professional associations, regulatory bodies and the general public. Represents LCRA as required.
- Effectively serves as a leader in the organization. Works collaboratively with staff across the organization. Champions and ensures timely and effective two-way communications with employees.
- Participates in cross-training activities, cross-departmental sharing of knowledge and, when appropriate, cross-departmental developmental assignments. Shares knowledge and expertise with others, developing a pipeline of possible successors. Learns from others in different roles and different departments to expand knowledge.
- Gathers safety-related information by traveling independently to various locations as necessary.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.