At an entry level, provides legal advice, representation and related services for LCRA Board of Directors and management in one or more areas of practice requiring in-house expertise. This position utilizes knowledge of the law and develops experience practicing as an attorney. Utilizes discretion and independent judgment to determine an appropriate approach within general parameters and some guidance from manager and/or more experienced colleagues.
- Negotiates, drafts, reviews, summarizes and researches a wide variety of agreements, including transmission, generation, procurement and other general business contracts.
- Prepares and reviews legal documents and other correspondence.
- Provides legal advice and review as needed.
- Participates in development and review of legislation.
- Researches, studies and interprets ordinances, laws, rulings and regulations to assist management with developing strategies for compliance.
- Negotiates with opposing counsel and other parties as required.
- Supports other attorneys in defending or prosecuting lawsuits related to transactional matters.
- Directs and coordinates work of outside counsel as required.
- Participates in cross-training activities, cross-departmental sharing of knowledge and, when appropriate, cross-departmental developmental assignments. Shares knowledge with others. Learns from others in different roles and different departments to expand knowledge.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Requires excellent drafting and editing skills – the chosen candidate must be detail-oriented, tech savvy, possess strong project and people management skills, and be comfortable working with individuals from all levels of a multi-faceted organization.
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory environments
- Knowledge of applicable State of Texas and federal laws
- Skill in analyzing legal and policy issues
- Skill in developing strategies to meet legal and company requirements
- Skill in analyzing and solving complex problems
- Skill in advocacy and negotiation
- Skill in effectively resolving conflicts
- Skill in verbal and written communication
- Skill in public speaking and articulating complex, technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Skill in communicating effectively with team members, supervision/management and external organizations under normal and emergency conditions
- Skill in client counseling
- Skill in planning, scheduling, prioritizing, and coordinating work within assigned work area
- Intermediate skill level in office productivity applications (such as email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.)
- Ability to assimilate a complex set of facts, apply the applicable law to the facts and give an accurate legal opinion on liability or lawfulness of a proposed action
- Ability to balance and manage competing high priority work demands
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Work hours are spent in an office environment
- Some work involves weekends, holidays and non-standard hours
- Work involves frequent finger/hand manipulation in using a keyboard and mouse
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.