Understanding benefits can be confusing, especially when it involves time away from work. If you enjoy helping employees and managers with their leave and security benefits, then LCRA has an opportunity for you as a Leave of Absence, Benefits Specialist Sr. at our Austin, TX location. The Leave of Absence, Benefits Specialist Sr. is knowledgeable about benefits administration as well as leave programs and security benefits. As this is an employee and manager facing role, this seasoned Benefits Specialist is a great communicator, is compassionate, has excellent attention to detail, and can manage multiple programs.
This individual utilizes their in-depth knowledge of benefits/leave administration and is no stranger to solving complex problems. Our ideal candidate is comfortable working independently and collaboratively and receiving minimal guidance. This position acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience as needed and may direct the work of other staff members.
LCRA offers a full benefit package such as, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and a 401(k) match.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Administers a variety of leave benefit programs such as Family Medical Leave (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities (ADA), Workers Compensation, and Short-and Long-term disability.
- Consults with and advises participants at all levels, including senior managers and executives, on eligibility, provisions and other matters related to leave programs and security benefits.
- Coordinates administration of benefits and acts as a liaison on behalf of LCRA and participants with external vendors. Works with HRIS system administration staff to provide vendors with necessary data for benefit administration. Monitors vendor performance to ensure services are delivered effectively and in accordance with plan terms and service agreements as applicable.
- Ensures that programs are carried out in accordance with the LCRA's policies, plan documents and procedures. Maintains benefit records.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations. Analyzes issues arising out of legislation that affect plan design. Makes recommendations in order to preserve legal compliance. Facilitates legal updates to plans and summary plan descriptions and distributes documentation to the workforce as required.
- Evaluates effectiveness of and identifies best practices in leave/security benefit administration. Develops, reviews, implements and documents internal administrative procedures that result in effective benefit plan administration. Makes recommendations for efficiency improvements and automation of processes.
- Assists in the preparation of employee benefit communication materials. Communicates to groups of participants regarding benefit provisions and changes to benefits as applicable.
- Participates in RFP processes as assigned. Provides broker with information needed for proposal process as directed. Reviews proposals and clarifies services offered. Provides input on vendor selection.
- Interacts with employees and managers and communicates LCRA leave programs and security benefits clearly and concisely. Translates complex data and/or benefits information into easily understood terms for current employees, employee dependent(s) and retirees of LCRA.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with various external partners such as brokers and vendors.
- May perform analysis to evaluate the effectiveness of programs and identify trend information. Interprets results and makes recommendations related to plan design, vendor performance and related matters.
- May be required to perform work by traveling independently or with a small team to various LCRA locations (substations, power plants, water systems, etc.) as needed.
This general overview only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by supervisor or management.